I know there was a lot of sewing recently that is why I have decided to put this short tutorial for Sunflower painting in acrylic.
You can follow these simple steps by step and complete your own artwork in a day.
1. Prepare your canvas, a set of paints (for a more interesting result I have used metallic acrylic paints), brushes, water in a cup, drying cloth and the most important, a picture of sunflower which you really, really like. You can find plenty of photos on the net or in magazines and books. I have a little “future projects folder” and obviously one sunflower was sitting right there.
2. Draw on canvas from the picture. This may be tricky if you have a hard time to keep right scale or shape but don’t worry you don’t have to be exact with your copy. Another tip could be to print a picture of the same like size, of your canvas and copy flower with copping paper, but then you will not have much space left for your own creativity.
3. Cover canvas with under painting. Make sure to not to leave any white spots. Acrylic paints dry very fast so you can put next layers every 10-20 minutes. Tip: we always paint from outside of canvas to the inside of it. Make sure all of the external edges are painted as well, this will allow you to hang the painting without framing it. Also try to take your tile with details, it may be hard to correct mistakes later on as paints may not cover it well.
4. Second layer of paint should manage most of shades and underline basic colors. You will have to go over full canvas again. This will also manage to smooth out some lighter and darker sections from under painting.
5. Last layer will complete all of the details which you would like to highlight and make more bold. Sunflower doesn’t have to look exactly like what is on the picture. This is all about your own creativity and artistic expression so don’t be afraid of it. Acrylic sunflower looks radiant and fresh.
If you would like to have more details on this project or would like to see other step by step painting tutorials please let me know.